Search The Ohio State Tree & Plant App
Explore trees and other woody plants at Chadwick Arboretum and the general Columbus campus grounds through the Ohio State Tree & Plant App. This interactive map can be used to search for individual trees and plants, apply filters for customized searches, or just explore our collection of plants.
To search for trees and plants by species or memorial name:
- Begin typing in the search box at the top left of the window, indicated by a magnifying glass.
- To search within a selected category, choose Tree Species, Memorial Trees, or Plant Species in the drop-down by clicking on the downward arrow at the side of search box.
- Select from the search dropdown list to zoom to a specific tree and view available data.
To highlight selected plants of interest, apply one or more filters to your search by following the steps below:
- Select the Filter tool from the left toolbar by clicking on the funnel icon.
- Filter by Plant Genus, Plant Common Name, Tree Genus, Tree Common Name, Tree Size, Memorial Trees, and/or Heritage Trees by selecting from the drop-down under each category, or typing in the box.
- To activate one or more filters, click the grey on/off switch next to the category name. When activated, the switch will turn green.
- Note that activating more than one filter will highlight all trees and plants that fit at least one part of the defined criteria.
The OSU’s GIS is managed by the Facilities Information and Technology Services. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access the Plant Search Database here and simply enter the botanical name (genus only will work) of any tree on The Ohio State University Columbus campus to view a photograph and one or more links to information from The Ohio State University Plant Facts, Wikipedia, and/or USDA Plants Database. If you do not know a tree's botanical name, you can find it by searching the web using the tree's common name.
Currently, this Plant Search Database only includes trees and shrubs on the Ohio State Columbus campus. All of the photographs for the Plant Search Database were taken on the OSU campus, most in Chadwick Arboretum.
iNaturalist allows users to search for pictures of recent plant observations across the nation, a map of where the plant has been observed, and other information including taxonomy and endangered status.
Search the U.S. National Plant Germplasm System for detailed information about taxonomy, range, and additonal resources.