Spring Plant Sale Fundraiser and Auctions
The Chadwick Arboretum & Learning Gardens presents its annual Spring Plant Sale Fundraiser and Auction. Visitors can peruse a selection of about 16,000 new, unusual, and tried and true edible and ornamental plants, as well as garden planters and a tool sharpening vendor. Proceeds from the event benefit the 30-acre OSU Chadwick Arboretum, student organizations, and local businesses. Note, we accept credit cards only.
Event Schedule: (click on each day for complete schedule details)
Members Only: Thursday, 5/11/23: 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Open to public: Friday, 5/12/23: 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 5/13/23: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Premium Tree and Shrub Auctions on Friday:
- 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Live Auction
20-Minute Educational Demonstrations on Friday
- 1:00 p.m.: Taking a correct soil sample:
- 2:00 p.m.: Container Gardening for flowers and vegetables
- 3:00 p.m.: Planting a Tree
All plants are chosen to provide a wide variety of time-tested and new cultivars, are of the highest quality, and with the most successful growth potential for growing conditions in Ohio. Each day of the sale will include an auction of donated trees and shrubs. Get your gardening questions answered, too, by the Franklin County Extension Master Gardener Volunteers Ask a Master Gardener Booth!
The Spring Plant Sale Fundraiser is entirely planned and operated by Chadwick Arboretum & Franklin County Master Gardener Volunteers! In 2022, about 1,000 hours were donated to help make our sale a suceessful fundraiser while providing a great educational opportunity. We hope to see you there!
- Food and Drinks: Different food trucks will be on site daily including J-POPS Handcrafted Ice Pops on Friday
- Bevel's Sharpening Service can sharpen your tools while you shop! (read more here)
- Find several local businesses:
- Dannaher Nursery : Rare and unusual plants
- Scioto Gardens : Locally grown, native landscape plants
- Hinton's Apiaries: Local, raw honey
- Horticulture Therapy: Hand painted pots and bird houes thta supports the Master Gardener Volunteer Program at Chadwick Arboretum
- Hypertufa: Handcrafted and planted hypertufa containers
- BLMBegonias and Central Ohio Begonia Association: Unique and various selections of begonias
- Plant Pathology Graduate Student Association: Native Plants
- Crops and Soils Club: Tomatos and peppers
This year marks the 36th anniversary of the Spring Plant Sale, first held in 1987. Annual membership to the Chadwick Arboretum costs $40 per year for a guest plus one visitor, and includes year-round education, fun events, discounts at more than 10 local garden centers, and free or discounted entrance into many American Horticultural Society Public Gardens across the United States.
- There will be a port-a-potty will be on the grounds.
- Please park across the street in the Bill Davis Stadium Parking lot and use the crosswalks when walking to the plant sale site.
- We have limited number of wagons for carrying your plants, please consider bringing one if you have it!
- We can only accept credit cards