History of Chadwick
- Founders originally intended to have a campus wide arboretum
- In 1888 the Columbus Horticulture Society tended the arboretum on campus
- In 1926 the Horticulture Gardens west of Campbell Hall were opened to the public
Campbell Hall was developed as the Agricultural Campus between 1967-1979
- The new gardens were dedicated in 1981
The first recorded date of an Arbor Day event presented by the newly
dedicated Chadwick Arboretum was April 27, 1984
- In 1980 the OSU Board of Trustees established the Chadwick Arboretum, named for Dr. Lewis C. Chadwick
- Dr. Chadwick was a well known horticulturist and professor at the Ohio State University
- He is credited with bringing the field of arboriculture to professional status
- He developed a system for propagation using hormones
To honor our Land Grant tradition by using plants for educational enjoyment.
We do this by...
Training the future public garden horticulturists, preserving green space, bringing people and plants together.
- Most of Chadwick's staff salaries come from the Horticulture and Crop Science department of OSU
- Student salaries are paid for through the Mayhew endowment
- Chadwick is responsible for 100% of its operating fees
- The plant sale is the biggest fundraiser, annually bringing in around $38,000- $42,000
- Dr. Chadwick has had several plants named for him
- Chadwick Arboretum offers several classes per season, for example, flower arranging and flower pounding
- The Greenhouse is open to the public and has several different selections, including a tropics room